Governor Kathy Hochul today announced the bicentennial of the Champlain Canal was commemorated during a ceremony at the Champlain Canal Region Gateway Visitors Center in Schuylerville. As part of the 524-mile New York State Canal system, the 60-mile Champlain Canal that connects the Hudson River to Lake Champlain first opened in 1823, two years earlier than the completion of the Erie Canal. New York Power Authority President and CEO Justin E. Driscoll and New York State Canal Corporation Director Brian U. Stratton presented Historic Hudson Hoosic Rivers Partnership Chairman Tom Richardson with a commemorative plaque that will be displayed at the Visitors Center to mark the occasion.

Read more