Notice to Mariners
Champlain Canal - Upper Hudson River Dredging Project
July 27, 2015
All mariners are advised that the upper Hudson River dredging project, administered by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and General Electric (GE), will be in progress during the 2015 Navigation Season between the confluence of the Mohawk River and Lock C-8 in Fort Edward. The dredging operations are lighted, have day shapes and arrow boards displayed. Additional informational signs have been posted in the project area. Boaters should follow all instructions as indicated.
All boaters must contact the Vessel Traffic Center on VHF Channel 18A for transit information through the project area.
Activities Planned for the Weeks of July 27 & August 3, 2015:
- Barge operations immediately south of Lock C-8.
- Barge operations immediately north of Lock C-5.
- Barge operations in the vicinity of buoy Red 60.
- No wake buoys the land cut north of Lock C-6 marking the no wake zone established in the vicinity of the barge loading areas.
- Backfill operations in the vicinity of buoy Red 48.
- Backfill operations in the vicinity of buoy Red 56.
- Backfill operations in the vicinity of buoy Red 62.
- Dredge activities outside navigation channel in vicinity of buoy Red 190.
- Habitat planting outside navigation channel in the vicinity of buoy Green 201, Red 196, Red 174, Red 112.
- Buoys used to aid contractor located outside the navigational channel are located north of buoy Red 56.
- Buoys used to aid contractor located just outside the navigational channel are located south of buoy Red 60.
- Buoys used to aid contractor located outside the navigational channel are located south of buoy Red 62A.
- Buoy used to aid contractor located outside the navigational channel is located just south of buoy Red 64A.
Note: Orange colored round (Norwegian) buoys are special use buoys for the dredging project and should not to be mistaken for navigational aids. Also, additional uncharted red & green navigational aids have been placed to help guide vessels through the project.
PASS WITH CAUTION - NO WAKE ZONE
Speed limits between the confluence of the Mohawk River and Lock C-8 will be 5 mph in all work zones. In addition, please be mindful of your wakes and when approaching work platforms, stop all forward motion and proceed at a “No-Wake” speed. Local and state marine patrols will enforce posted speed limits.
For any questions related to the dredging project, call the EPA at (518) 747-4389 or GE at