Notice to Mariners
Erie and Champlain Canals – Rotterdam, Smith’s Basin, Whitehall, Waterford and Crescent
June 3, 2021
Mariners are advised of underwater lock wall inspections on the following days at the following Erie and Champlain Canal locks:
- Monday, June 7, 2021 - Erie Canal Lock E-9 in Rotterdam, NE/Lower right approach wall
- Wednesday, June 9, 2021 – Champlain Canal Lock C-9 in Smith’s Basin, SE/Upper right approach wall
- Wednesday, June 9, 2021 – Champlain Canal Lock C-12 in Whitehall, SE/Upper right approach wall
- Thursday, June 10, 2021 – Champlain Canal Lock C-1 in Waterford, NE/Opposite side of the river
- Friday, June 11, 2021 – Guard Gate 1 in Crescent, Sluice gate, south side of the navigation channel
Delays may occur, so plan itineraries accordingly. It is suggested that mariners contact the locks by phone prior to coming within VHF range to make the lock tender aware of the intended transit, and to get updates on expected delays. Please contact Erie Canal Lock E-6 in Crescent, in the Waterford Flight regarding Guard Gate 1.
Inspection ares will be marked by diver’s flags and buoys. Boaters should reduce speed, stop all forward motion and proceed at a "No Wake" speed when transiting these areas.
All lock phone numbers are listed at http://www.canals.ny.gov/wwwapps/boating/locks.aspx
Charts covering the affected areas can be found at https://www.canals.ny.gov/navinfo/charts/14786e37l.png https://www.canals.ny.gov/navinfo/charts/14786e40.png
For updates and information, please visit Canals.NY.gov or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.