Notice to Mariners
Champlain Canal - Upper Hudson River Dredging Project
June 8, 2015
All mariners are advised that the upper Hudson River dredging project, administered by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and General Electric (GE), will be in progress during the 2015 Navigation Season between the confluence of the Mohawk River and Lock C-8 in Fort Edward. The dredging operations are lighted, have day shapes and arrow boards displayed. Additional informational signs have been posted in the project area. Boaters should follow all instructions as indicated.
All boaters must contact the Vessel Traffic Center on VHF Channel 18A for transit information through the project area.
Activities Planned for the Week of June 8, 2015:
- Barge unloading operations immediately south of Lock C-8.
- Barge operations immediately north of Lock C-5.
- Barge operations in the vicinity of buoy Red 60.
- No wake buoys the land cut north of Lock C-6 marking the no wake zone established in the vicinity of the barge unloading areas.
- Backfill operations between approximately buoy Red 10 and Red 14.
- Dredge operations in the vicinity of buoy Red 48.
- Dredge operations in the vicinity of buoy Red 56.
- Dredge operations in the vicinity of buoy Red 62.
- Lighted Norwegian buoy indicating submerged pump outside the navigational channel located approximately 400’ north of buoy Green 55.
- Buoys used to aid dredge contractor located outside the navigational channel are located north of buoy Red 56.
- Buoys used to aid dredge contractor located just outside the navigational channel are located south of buoy Red 60.
- Buoys used to aid dredge contractor located outside the navigational channel are located south of buoy Red 62A.
Note: Orange colored round (Norwegian) buoys are special use buoys for the dredging project and should not to be mistaken for navigational aids. Also, additional uncharted red & green navigational aids have been placed to help guide vessels through the project.
PASS WITH CAUTION - NO WAKE ZONE
Speed limits between the confluence of the Mohawk River and Lock C-8 will be 5 mph in all work zones. In addition, please be mindful of your wakes and when approaching work platforms, stop all forward motion and proceed at a “No-Wake” speed. Local and state marine patrols will enforce posted speed limits.
For any questions related to the dredging project, call the EPA at (518) 747-4389 or GE at (518) 792-4087.
Features along the Champlain Canal are listed by mileage at http://www.canals.ny.gov/wwwapps/navinfo/navinfo.aspx?waterway=champlain.
For updates and information, please call 1-800-4CANAL4 or visit